Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My New Doc


I can’t believe it has been so long since I last blogged!  Once again, I am sorry… I will try to be better.  Now for some updates…

My husband and I chose to see a new gyn-onc. We first saw him at the beginning of February. He is in private practice, about an hour from home. My dad's colleague had heard good things about him and when I searched online I saw that he had AMAZING reviews from patients, which is rare. They praised not only his surgical skills, but his wonderful bedside manner. 

I am in the medical field and have worked with hundreds of different doctors. This doctor has the best bedside manner I have ever seen or experienced. Medical students could learn a lot from this guy. I felt more calm as soon as he walked in the room. The first thing he said to us (he had already reviewed my records) was “wow, you have been through a lot. How are you doing?” He was kind, sympathetic, answered all of our (many) questions. He even sensed that I had one more question as he was leaving the room and asked what it was…

And he is willing to be somewhat more flexible than my previous doctor. He agreed with what had been done so far. He even recommended that I continue the megace for 3 more months and have another D&C since there were still some atypical cells on the pathology and they saw more polyps at my last surgery. But one of the biggest differences is that once the pathology is “normal,” he will send us to do IVF immediately, without another 3 months of megace and another D&C like my original doctor planned.  Another smaller difference is that he does not have his patients stop taking the megace one week before a D&C like my doctor did. I wonder if this could have any effect on the pathology with one week without the hormonal therapy?

He also thought that the mirena IUD (puts progresterone into the uterus) was a good idea to try since I was having so many side effects from the oral version – my megace.

We also discussed a more long-term plan. Assuming that things improve and I am able to do IVF and I am able to get pregnant and I am able to deliver a baby… he would monitor me closely after delivery. I will likely need to be on either megace or have the IUD with D&Cs every few months. But, he did not feel that I would need a hysterectomy ASAP. As long as things are monitored and going fine he thought that we could do another round of IVF to have another kid if we wanted. And when we were done, I would have my hysterectomy. And he wouldn’t necessarily take my ovaries – another potentially good thing… 

So we were happy with these plans and chose to go with this doctor. I have to tell you that I am also extremely relieved to no longer be treated at the hospital where I work. It has been very stressful to have so many surgeries where I know all of the staff and see my colleagues everywhere as I roll by – awake and asleep.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds all very positive! Man, I wish this guy could teach every doctor! What a rare gift! Glad you found him!

    ReplyDelete