Monday, May 14, 2012

I'm a Survivor


I got an interesting piece of mail today from my doctor's (my original gyn-onc) office. It surprised me and honestly brought tears.

It was an invitation to a celebration of National Cancer Survivors Day.

I guess I hadn't really thought of myself as a survivor. I mean I didn't have chemo or radiation or have a big surgery to get rid of body parts or lose my hair.

But, my life was turned upside down for the past 14 months. I made it through 14 months of hormonal therapy that transformed my body. I made it through 5 minor surgeries under general anesthesia. I put my career on hold and prioritized my family - the one that I have now and my future, potential family.

I went from carcinoma to complex hyperplasia with atypia to complex hyperplasia without atypia to atypical proliferation to normal endometrium!

So I guess I really am a survivor. And that should be celebrated, whether my husband and I go to the party at the cancer center or just out to dinner together.

National Cancer Survivors Day is Sunday, June 3. Congratulate your friends and family who have survived, the ones who heard that word, cancer, and made it through, both physically and emotionally. And remember the ones who didn’t…

No comments:

Post a Comment