Thursday, May 19, 2011

Telling my Family


To be honest, I don’t remember much about the evening at my sister’s house.  I remember feeling nervous.  I remember having a much needed glass of wine that didn’t taste as good as it usually does.  I am sure I played with my nieces and nephew and maybe even read a bedtime story or two.  

My sister always cooks gourmet meals but that night I could barely swallow my steak.  My husband was looking at me every few minutes, “now?”   I didn’t want to ruin their dinner so I was planning to wait until we finished eating.  Eventually, he looked at me with a “now!” look and I knew it was time

“We have something we have to talk to you about,” I started.  My brother-in-law immediately piped in with, “I knew it!” and a big smile, implying that we were pregnant, despite the glass of wine in front of me.  “No, please stop there.  It is not good news.”  We gave them the whole update.  They were shocked and supportive.  There were quite a few tears.  I’ll distinctly remember the whispered, “Do you have to have a hysterectomy?”  I didn’t know the answer.  I needed more information.  My sister said that she thought something was up - I hadn’t been myself that day.  

I am the youngest of three girls.  My middle sister was flying in for the weekend in 2 days. My mom, oldest sister, and I decided that I should wait until I saw her in person to tell her the news. 

After dessert (despite no appetite, my sweet tooth let me eat a piece of cake!), my sister said, “I am calling Yazmina right now!  You need a massage tomorrow morning".  A massage sounded good to me...

That night, my hubby and I lay in bed talking. The day before we had been looking forward to the year to come, and hopefully a pregnancy.  He loved his job and coaching hockey.  I survived medical school and my internship and was finally training in my chosen field.  And we had been planning to buy a house, moving from the city to the suburbs, in anticipation of starting a family.  Would we be able to continue all these plans?  We felt like our world had been turned upside down. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a journey you are on. I really hope blogging brings you more information and some comfort, like it has for me. Let me know if I can help with any information - different diagnosis, but similar heartache and the same goal. Happy to help you out however I can. Valentina

    ReplyDelete